As part of CWN’s Courageous Conversation series, please join us for an engaging session with the Inclusion and Belonging (I & B) Committee. Our I & B committee is in and of itself a microcosm of diversity. Coming from such a range of backgrounds their lived experiences help shine a light on some subjects that we all can find tricky to navigate. Hear the stories from our Co-chairs Yvette and Sandy and other committee members Mira, Cathy, Adele and Lisa who will cover:
- The importance of male heirs vs being a girl in a traditional Chinese family
- The identity challenge of being brought up with a mix of Indian and English cultural expectations
- Growing up with a strong Caribbean female household and the significance of skin colour even within the black community
- Dealing with a real fear of the rise of anti-Semitism over recent years.
In their conversation they will provide insight into:
- Personal experiences of micro aggressions and subtle racism (even within own culture)
- The struggle to fit in when you stand out
- The impact of social class and colour on career prospects
And offer advice on:
- The importance of curiosity to build strong networks
- Coping mechanisms for dealing with being different
- The value of stopping pretending and finding your true voice
- How to avoid the dangers of stereotyping.
We will be presenting this event as a shared experience conversation amongst our committee. The audience are not required to turn their cameras on or interact in small group discussion, however as always, questions from attendees are encouraged.
We hope that by hearing our conversation, you will feel more comfortable and relaxed about having similar conversations with your colleagues and friends.
Member: tickets are free, however, have the option of making a donation to Wellbeing of Women (WOW) by choosing one of the Member 'donation' tickets.
Non-member: There is a nominal charge (a choice between a £10, £15 and £20 ticket price), with all money raised going to WOW.
@CityWomenLondon | #CWN | #CWNonline
#courageousconverstions | #inclusionandbelonging | #authenticself | #diversity